Elasticity is the ability of a body to resist a distorting influence and to return to its original size and shape when that influence or force is removed. Solid objects will deform when adequate force is applied to them. If the material is elastic, the object will return to its initial shape and size when these forces are removed. Hooke’s Law states that the force should be proportional to the extension.
The last three years have had one question being asked consecutively from the chapter. With only 6 question in the past 11 years, this chapter happens to be a low weighted chapter. So going by the general trend, we should not be expecting anything more than 1 question from this chapter.
The below given graph will illustrate the above-mentioned analysis:
The important topics to be covered from this chapter are:
• Elastic Behavior
• Stress-Strain Relationship
• Hooke’s Law
• Young’s Modulus
• Bulk Modulus
• Shear Modulus of Rigidity
• Poisson’s Ratio
• Elastic Energy
Tips and Tricks:
• The students must begin with reading the NCERT portion as it has a good basic explanation of the chapter and helps form the base for further reading. Here is the link to the NCERT PDF version of the mentioned chapter:
• Flash Cards are to be created by the students so that they are able to revise the parts and their functions easily.
• Mnemonics may be created uniquely by the student so that they are able to retain the parts in their mind easily.
• All the past year questions must be solved so that one understands the type of questions that are asked in the paper.